2019 Fur Trade Days Poetry Contest Guidelines
2019 Poetry Contest Guidelines
Failure to follow these submission guidelines or to submit payment will result in your entries not being processed. We cannot do formatting to correct your errors or omissions.
1. Each poem must be no more than 3 pages in length.
2. Electronic entries (.doc preferred; .pdf accepted) should be sent as attachments by email to email@example.com. Each poem must be typed or clearly written on one side of the paper only.
(mailed entries are highly discouraged, must be typed or clearly written on one side of the paper only, and will be scanned for submission to the judges losing much of their readability; therefore, we cannot be responsible for their presentation)
3. The name of the author must not appear on the entry itself.
4. No alterations can be made to a poem once it has been submitted.
5. The entrant may submit up to 3 poems, each to be accompanied by a $10.00 entrance fee. We can only accept US dollars.
6. Payment must be made through the submission form linked at the bottom of this page.
7. Once entered, poems cannot be withdrawn from the competition. It is regretted that no entries can be returned, so keep a copy of your work.
8. No entry fee(s) can be refunded.
9. Winners may be requested to provide a biography and photograph for use with their entry when published.
10. No acknowledgment of receipt of poems will be given unless requested.
11. Print the Rights Agreement/Contract, fill in the blanks and sign the form. Then scan the form and attach it to your entry email or mail it to:
Women of the Fur Trade
642 N. Broadwell Avenue
Grand Island, NE 68803
(No poem will be submitted to the judges until the Rights Agreement has been received.)
12. Entries must be in English.
13. Entries may be previously published. However, poems are not eligible if previously published in/on a Nebraska Writers Guild publication, a Nebraska Writers Guild social media site, or any publication related to the Chadron Fur Trade Days past or present.
The author must have full rights to previously published material or present a letter from the publisher giving the Guild one-time permission for publication.
14. Entries should not be submitted for publication elsewhere while the competition is running.
15. The author must be living.
16. No translations are allowed.
17. Entries can be in any style and on any subject, except found poems, and must be clearly related to the theme.
18. Judges of the Women of the Fur Trade competition and members of their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
19. Winners will be decided by our panel of 4 judges. Judges will use the contest evaluation form to assign points by category. The individual judges’ scores will be added together with the entry receiving the most points, second most points, and third most points being declared winners in that order. In the case of a tie, the tied entries will be forwarded to a 5th judge whose scores will be added to the form totals to determine the winner. In case a tie remains, the decision will be made by three members of the Nebraska Writers Guild Board. All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding a decision. The organizers' reserve that right to the judges.
20. All entries must reach us by the closing date (online entries can be submitted up until midnight on the final day of entry). All entry fees must also be received by the closing date for the poems to be released to the judges.
21. All winning poems will be announced at the Fur Trade Days Award Ceremony and Opening Reading and will be published in the Nebraska Writers Guild 2020 anthology or 2020 Poetry Chapbook. Winning entries may also be published elsewhere in the media.
22. Authors who are unable to attend the awards ceremony will not forfeit any prize money associated with their winning entry.
22. You may request an online copy of the contest evaluation form here.